Homeless Outreach/Medical Social Worker (Full-Time)
Eastern Iowa Health Center (EIHC) has an exciting opportunity for a full-time Homeless Outreach Social Worker to join our team of healthcare professionals at our family medicine/pediatric location.
The Homeless Outreach Social Worker is responsible for strengthening and supporting civic and community organizations working for the betterment of the homeless community, as served by EIHC. Additionally, you will be responsible for providing patient psychosocial assessments to determine treatment plans.
This position will also help connect patients and families to necessary resources and supports in the community and make appropriate referrals as needed. This position will build and maintain partnerships with local organizations that expand the reach of EIHC’s mission. This position implements EIHC activities and outreach focused on the homeless population, both internally and externally. In addition, this position is responsible for other outreach duties, including but not limited to: representing EIHC at health fairs, roundtables and National Health Center Week activities.
- Initiate contact and manage relationships with service and community organizations, businesses, healthcare organizations and providers, academic institutions, as well as local and regional governmental agencies in order to further the services to the homeless population
- Identify ways to engage the community by establishing relationships with formal and informal leadership and neighborhood organizations to facilitate awareness and utilization of EIHC and its services, specifically for the area homeless population
- Practice Trauma-Informed Care
- Provide emotional support and brief interventions, based on individual client needs
- Provide direct service to clients and their relatives through the evaluation of social and psychological data and select appropriate social work methods for treatment
- Consult with clinical staff to assess the medical, psychological and social condition and needs of client, as necessary
- Assess high-risk situations/symptoms regarding suicide potential, domestic violence and child/dependent abuse
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work (BSW) or relevant field of study
- Licensed in Iowa as LBSW
- Valid Iowa driver’s license, proof of insurance and own transportation
- Demonstrated abilities to communicate with a variety of audiences, along with multi-tasking and time management skills
- Basic computer skills required.
- Current Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers Certification (BLS)
If qualified, please submit a cover letter and resume with job and salary history to: Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The mission of Eastern Iowa Health Center is to provide a medical home by offering patient-focused, quality comprehensive primary, oral and behavioral healthcare services to individuals and families in our community, regardless of ability to pay.
EIHC offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits including: medical, dental, vision, paid time off (PTO) benefits, including eight paid holidays, Flexible Spending Account, and 401k retirement savings plan(s). Loan repayment is possible through the National Health Service Corp. To learn more, visit the following link: www.nhsc.hrsa.gov.